When was the last time you audited your website? If you have never audited your website, haven’t done it in a while or are planning a redesign of your website, here you will find all the factors to take into account when doing it.
What Is a Website Audit?
Performing a website audit consists of analyzing the website so that possible errors are detected in order to correct them and implement the necessary improvements to optimize it. Without performing this web analysis, you will hardly be able to check the performance of all the elements that compose it and if the design, structure, content and other aspects are providing the expected profitability or can still increase traffic and conversions.
Benefits of a website audit
- Website Performance Optimization: An audit will give you the opportunity to check the soundness of your website’s technical framework and infrastructure, evaluate the degree of your site’s search engine friendliness and identify the experience your users have when browsing your website.
- Search Engine Optimization: Another benefit is that you will be able to identifywhere they have gone wrong or what they have executed poorly in SEO, giving them the opportunity to be able to correct it and look for new opportunities. In addition, it will allow you to refocus your SEO efforts primarily on users and then on search engines. This will protect you from the constant changes in search ranking algorithms.
- Conversion Rate Optimization: Website audits allow you to detect any previously overlooked opportunities to convert visitors into leads so you can add relevant calls to action, as well as identify weaknesses in your landing pages so you can optimize them to increase conversions.
- Identify Issues: One of the great benefits of performing a website audit is that it will allow you to find those issues that are hurting your conversions and your search engine optimization. This gives you the ability to fix all the errors and improve your website conversions and traffic.
Now that you know what a website audit is and some of its benefits, let’s take a look at how to perform one.
Why do I have to analyze my website?
Analyzing your website should be a mandatory task which you should perform every so often, depending on the amount of content, users, importance you give to your site and a wide range of other factors.
Auditing your website can determine whether or not it’s optimized to achieve your traffic goals, and if not, how you can improve it to increase performance.
Performing a good audit will help you prevent anything bad from happening to your website, such as it is falling victim to attacks. In addition, you will be able to easily detect weaknesses in your site and correct errors immediately.
If the reasons described above are not enough, we leave you the following article in which we talk about the importance of performing an audit.
How to Conduct a Website Audit
1. Run Your Website URL through a Site Audit Tool
Before you get started, you will probably want to find a website audit tool to help you analyze your site’s performance. If you use a site audit software to analyze your site, you will be able to get specific recommendations and check your page performance.
2. Find Technical Errors
After your website has gone through an audit tool, you should look for technical errors. These can be related to performance, SEO, mobile devices, security, etc. The technical structure and configuration of your site plays an important role in how well your website performs for customers.
3. Identify SEO Problems
The next step is to examine SEO issues in order to improve your search engine rankings. This could mean looking at meta descriptions, reviewing image alt text, etc.
4. Analyze Design and UX
You can’t forget about user experience. Some software has heat maps of the parts of your design that get the most attention and what users read. This type of analysis will let you know how the overall design and user experience is impacting users visiting your website.
5. Assess Website Content
An audit will help you to evaluate the content of your website, including blogs, web pages, etc. It is advisable to answer yourself some questions such as “Is my content ranking well in search engines?”.
Security is undoubtedly of great importance when it comes to websites.
Therefore, you should focus on taking security measures to keep our site secure and also be able to certify that the channel through which information is transmitted is safe and secure.
Things to ask yourself to make sure you have a secure website:
- Do you have an SSL certificate?
- What version of PHP is our server running?
7. Generate a Checklist of All Site Issues and Recommended Fixes
Finally, when conducting a website audit, it is of great importance to have a place to put all the findings of the analysis. List the site issues and recommended fixes, so you can send that information to the appropriate teams.
Surely you have realized the complexity of performing an audit and all the benefits it can bring to your website, performing an audit from time to time is the best thing we can do to keep our website functional.
If you don’t know or don’t dare to perform an audit, you don’t have to worry, we can do it for you, contact us! We have a highly trained team to perform an advanced audit using the best tools.