You’ve probably heard of “digital marketing”, “marketing”, or “online marketing”, right?
But do you know what they mean? How has it evolved over the last few years? What are its advantages?
So, let’s go and discover the digital marketing 101.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing includes all those advertising or commercial actions or strategies that are executed in the digital media and internet channels. Thanks to the power of technology, it allows you to create personalized products and services while measuring everything that happens to improve the experience.
It is a series of tactics you use to market your products or services to your target audience. The role of digital marketing is to help you convert leads into customers for your business.
Digital Marketing: from Web 1.0 to Web 2.0
Digital marketing in its beginnings was based on web pages 1.0 and was a translation of advertising from traditional media (radio, TV, press…) to the first web pages. This didn’t allow a bidirectional communication with users.
The web 1.0 didn’t differ much from the use of traditional media. Its main characteristic was the impossibility to communicate with users, because only the company had control of what was published about itself.
With the web 2.0, the possibility of sharing information easily thanks to social networks and new information technologies that allow the almost instantaneous exchange of information that was previously impossible, such as videos, graphics, etc., was born.
The internet was starting to be used not only as a way for searching information, but also as a community, where there are constant relationships and feedback with users from different parts of the world.
New Web Format: 3.0
The industrial revolution is not letting us down. A new type of web emerged: the web 3.0. But do you know what this type of web is based on?
Thanks to artificial intelligence, the Internet is no longer a robotic space, but a semantic one. To help you understand it better, these are the four main features of web 3.0:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Semantic Web
- 3D Graphics
- Ubiquity and connectivity
So, the web 3.0 is all about the user and their interconnectivity with brands, companies and other users.
In the near future, in the web 4.0, or user-centered web, the user is the main character and lies at the center of everything like design and creation of platforms, products, services or websites.
Ok, now you know how the web has evolved. How do you work your marketing?
Digital Marketing Tools
Digital marketing has a series of highly diverse tools from which small actions to complex and more expensive strategies can be carried out.
Some of these tools are:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), is the optimization of websites to be found and indexed by search engines. The search engines index web pages so that we can find what we are looking for.
- SEM: Search Engine Marketing (SEM), commonly refers to ads that appear within search engines. The main differences with SEO are that, since they are paid ads, the possibilities of segmentation are very high, and the results are immediate. It’s also cheaper than running a campaign in traditional media.
- Content marketing: It’s a digital marketing strategy based on the creation of content to attract the target audience. Usually, this content takes the form of blog articles, e-books, infographics or videos.
- Social media marketing: Social media marketing is the use of social media platforms to connect with the audience, aiming to improve your branding, increasing your sales and gaining new leads.
- Affiliate Marketing: It’s a marketing strategy in which a person, acting as an affiliate or reseller, takes advantage of the traffic of their own website to promote a product to their audience.
- E-mail marketing: It’s the marketing strategy based on taking advantage of a company’s database to send communications. It’s a highly exploited strategy, but it’s still one of the most effective and with the best return of investment.
Advantages of Digital Marketing
These are some of the advantages of Digital Marketing:
- Global: Anyone from anywhere in the world will be able to access your product when it’s available on the Internet.
- Interactive: The Internet is a two-way communication channel, and so is Digital Marketing. In this way, communication between companies and consumers has been maximized.
- Hyper-Segmentable: Thanks to the large amount of information collected about Internet users, we can target more and more profiled and defined audiences.
- Perfectly measurable: The data is no longer based on time-consuming and expensive market research. Today, they are collected immediately through monitoring the actions that the user performs directly on the Internet.
- Greater capacity for control, optimization and adjustment of campaigns: due to the collection and possibility of consulting in real time the campaign’s results, in an exact manner.
We hope it’s clear to you what digital marketing is and why it’s so important today. A digital marketing strategy is essential to improve your image and increase visibility.
If you have any questions about how to apply digital marketing to your project, we will be happy to help you.
Don’t hesitate to contact us!